Our specialist lawyers are focussed on protecting the rights of patients in hospital and in the community.
The work we do includes:
- Mental Health Tribunals.
- Hospital managers appeals.
- Community treatment orders.
- S. 117 (pre-discharge) and CPA meetings.
- Applications to the Court of Protection.
- Compulsory treatment and lawfulness of detention.
- Nearest relative displacement proceedings.
- Nearest relative discharge applications.
- Voluntary admissions.
- Forensic admissions.
- Consent to treatment.
- Post treatment aftercare.
We have been fighting for the rights of clients for over 25 years and we know that detention in a psychiatric unit can be a frightening and confusing experience. We stay in regular contact with our clients throughout their cases and provide a 24 hour emergency telephone advice line.
Noreen Doherty, Christopher Furbey and Patrick Harris are members of the Law Society Mental Health Review Tribunal panel and have a combined 45 years experience of work in this area.
Clifford Johnston has been awarded the Specialist Quality Mark by the Legal Aid Agency. Patients detained under the Mental Health Act are entitled to free representation at appeal hearings as part of the Public Funding Scheme.
We also undertake criminal defence work and specialise in all issues relating to mentally disordered offenders, including transfers from prison, sentencing and discharges from hospital and restriction orders.