Get in Touch


Frequently Asked Questions

The law can often be complex and confusing. Our specialists Lawyers will guide you through each step of the process.

We have answered our most frequently asked questions below. If you don’t find the information you need please feel free to get in touch and one of our team members will get back to you as soon as we can.

Arrange a Consultation
  • Why do I need a solicitor?

    Our team of solicitors have decades of experience between them and offer expert legal advice on a wide range of legal matters, which you may have difficulties in resolving yourself. See our ‘’services’ page for details on all of the services we offer.
  • Who will be the lawyer dealing with my case?

    When we receive your instructions, a solicitor will be appointed to conduct your case. We will notify you in writing as to the name of the solicitor and the name of the Partner who will have overall responsibility for your case. From time to time the solicitor may be assisted and supported in the preparation of your case by our team of experienced lawyers and administrative staff.
  • How flexible are you with appointments?

    We open 9am-5pm Monday to Friday but we are also very flexible. We can visit you at home or at work and we can offer appointments outside normal working hours.
  • How can I contact you?

    Please contact us by telephone, e-mail, fax, post or in person. The lawyer you are dealing with on any particular matter will provide you with their direct dial telephone number and e-mail address for your ease of communication. To contact us through our website, please use our contact form.
  • Are your lawyer’s specialists in their fields?

    All of our lawyers are specialists which means they deal with specific areas of law and that they can provide in-depth advice and experience in that area.
  • What is a voluntary police interview?

    It is common practice for the police to arrest those people that they suspect of committing a criminal offence. However, voluntary interviews are now becoming much more common too. A voluntary interview takes place when the police suspect that a person has committed an offence but, rather than arrest that person, they invite them to the police station to be interviewed. A voluntary interview will be recorded and will take place under caution.  It can be used in future criminal proceedings. Volunteers have the right to access independent legal advice and are free to leave the police station at anytime, although the police could arrest them if they chose to do so.
  • I am due to appear before the Magistrates Court. Will I get legal aid?

    This will depend on the nature of the offence for which you are appearing and your financial means. Legal aid in the Magistrates’ Court is means tested and subject to what is known as the ‘Interests of Justice Test’. The interests of Justice test looks at how serious the matter is and whether there is a risk that someone will lose their liberty or suffer long term damage to their livelihood or reputation. The means test does not apply if a person is under 18 or on certain benefits. In all other circumstances a person’s finances will be assessed to decide whether they are eligible for Legal Aid. Their annual household income and family circumstances will be taken into account and then:
    • If their annual household income is £12,475 or less they’ll get free Legal Aid
    • If it is £22,325 or more they are not eligible for Legal Aid.
    • If a person’s annual household income is more than £12,475 but less than £22,325 then the Legal Aid Agency will look at their disposable income. This is the money they’re left with after they’ve paid their main bills.  If they’re left with: 3,398 or less a year (£283.17 or less a month) they get free Legal Aid
    • More than £3,398 a year (£283.17 a month) they are not eligible to receive Legal Aid
  • Will I get Legal Aid for my Crown Court case?

    Legal aid is available in the Crown Court and is also subject to means testing. A person will not have to pay towards the costs of their defence case if they are under 18 or if they receive certain benefits. If a person’s annual household disposable income is below £37,500 then they will be eligible for Legal Aid, although they may have to pay a contribution towards the costs of their defence if their annual disposable income is above £3,398 The regulations and criteria surrounding legal aid can often be confusing and complex.  Our highly skilled team will guide you through each step of the process.
  • What are the grounds for divorce?

    There is only one ground for divorce and that is the irretrievable breakdown of the marriage. This has to be proven by establishing one of the following facts:
    • Adultery
    • Unreasonable behaviour
    • Two year separation (where the other party consents to a divorce)
    • Five year separation (no consent is needed in this case)
    • Desertion
  • My Partner and I wish to avoid going to Court. Are there any other options?

    You could consider other processes, such as mediation. Mediation is a voluntary process which aims to help the parties to reach an agreement in relation to the practical aspects of the breakdown of the relationship. Our trained mediator acts as a neutral third party who will work to encourage positive discussion between the parties with the aim of reaching a settlement.
  • If I’ve had a slip or trip injury, who do I claim against?

    If you have a slip or trip accident, then you would look to direct your claim to the occupier of the premises of which your accident occurred on. To consider who this is, you have to look at factors such as who owns the property, who has control over it, and who is responsible for inspecting/maintaining it. For example, if you had an accident in a supermarket, then in the first instance the claim would be directed to them as the owner and occupier. If however you had an accident in a bar or pub, then the owner of the premises (the landlord) would not always be the first port of call, as quite often it is a different company who occupies and has control over the day-to-day running of it.