Losing someone close to you is incredibly difficult but if you are also an executor of the will the stress you are under can be heighted due to the many legal matters that need attending to.
At Clifford Johnston & Co. we are mindful of the overwhelming stress that bereaved relatives and friends are often under and work hard to ease any additional worry and concern that dealing with probate can bring.
We can support and guide you during this time ensuring that probate and any other outstanding issues are resolved as quickly and efficiently as possible.
Contact our Probate Lawyers in Manchester or Stockport for reliable, confidential and affordable advice.
What is probate?
Probate is the financial and legal process of settling someone’s estate. When you apply to manage someone’s money, property and possessions after they have died you are ‘applying for probate’. The Probate Registry Office will then confirm that the will is genuine and valid before issuing the Grant of Probate. This is the legal document that allows the executors to begin dealing with the estate and distributing the assets as detailed in the will. Duties of the executors include:
- Gathering any required information.
- Informing the necessary authorities.
- Obtaining valuations of the assets.
- Releasing the assets.
- Paying any outstanding bills.
- Settling any outstanding debts.
- Distributing the remainder of the estate between beneficiaries.
Dealing with probate can be both time-consuming and confusing but at Clifford Johnston & Co. we can offer our legal expertise to help make the process as simple and straight-forward as possible for you.
Our Probate Expertise
Our exceptional team of Probate Lawyers are recognised for their specialism and skill in this field. We have the experience and technical knowledge that you should expect from your legal advisers to help minimise the weight of your responsibility.
We can be involved for as much or as little of the probate process as you need and will tailor our services to your own particular requirements.
A Probate Lawyer will manage all aspects of probate on your behalf or can advise or support on specific areas including:
- Applying for the Grant of Probate.
- Preparing the estate accounts.
- Advising on and dealing with inheritance tax issues including liaising with HMRC.
- Managing the sale of any property, land or assets.
- Handling the transfer of any property, land or assets.
We are highly experienced in resolving the most complex of situations and regularly deal with estates where:
- There is no will.
- There are doubts surrounding the will’s validity.
- Dependents have been left out of a will and want to make a claim on the estate.
- The estate is subject to complicated taxes.
- The estate is bankrupt (known as insolvent).
- The estate includes foreign property or assets.
Whatever you need from us, we can help and pride ourselves on our friendly and personable approach that will put you at your ease. We will handle your situation with sensitivity and understanding to take as much of the emotional stress away from you as we can. We will provide you with clear, coherent advice from the outset so that you are fully informed throughout.
From April 2019, Government changes in England and Wales mean that any estate worth less than £50,000 will not be liable for probate fees. Estates worth more than £50,000 will be charged on a sliding scale:
- Estates worth between £50,000 and £300,000 will incur fees of £250
- Estates worth between £300,000 and £500,000 will incur fees of £750
- Estates worth between £500,000 and £1 million will incur fees of £2,500
- Estates worth between £1 million and £1.6 million will incur fees of £4,000
- Estates worth between £1.6 million and £2 million will incur fees of £5,000
- Estates worth more than £2 million will pay £6,000 where the fees are capped.
Whether you need us for one-off advice or for ongoing management of the probate process, as leading probate specialists, you will find that we are best placed to offer you the best possible support and guidance. We can also offer Fixed Fee Probate Services. Call our Probate Solicitors in Manchester or at our Stockport office today for more information