Civil Partnership Dissolutions

Put your trust in Clifford Johnston & Co.

  • Experts in Civil Partnership Dissolutions
  • Law Society Family Law Accredited Firm
  • Support for Same-Sex Couples Available
  • Contact us to Dissolute a Civil Partneship

Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors in Manchester & Stockport

Civil Partnership Dissolution is the legal process of ending a civil partnership.

Introduced in 2005, Civil Partnerships are available to both same-sex couples and opposite-sex couples, affording them almost the same legal rights as married couples. If your relationship has irretrievably broken down, the process of ending a civil partnership is very similar to the process of ending a marriage.

Clifford Johnston & Co have years of experience in helping clients through the Civil Partnership Dissolution process. The breakdown of any relationship can be painful, but we’re here to make sure that the legal process is one less thing to worry about.

Why choose Clifford Johnston & C0?

We completely understand the emotional toll that ending a relationship can take.

We’re here to help you to reach a fair and amicable agreement as efficiently as possible. Our expert team of family lawyers regularly deal with the dissolution of civil partnerships across England & Wales. With our wealth of knowledge and experience you can be sure matters will be handled professionally.

If you are looking to formally end a civil partnership, contact us today. The Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors at Clifford Johnston & Co will deal with your enquiry with sensitivity and compassion, offering you practical and supportive advice.

How do I end a civil partnership?

The first step towards ending a civil partnership is the application for a dissolution order, or conditional order of dissolution. Applications can be made jointly or by a sole applicant, and an agreement should be reached to decide how practical and financial issues will be dealt with. You will have to wait 20 weeks between your initial application and the request for a conditional order.

Ending a civil partnership can be relatively straightforward if both parties are in agreement – but where this isn’t possible, the dissolution process will take longer and require guidance from a legal expert.

When can I end a civil partnership?

It isn’t legally possible to dissolve a civil partnership within the first 12 months. You may apply for a separation order during this time, which the court will usually grant if you can prove that your partner has behaved unreasonably. Once granted, you cannot legally enter into another Civil Partnership or marriage until your partnership is legally dissolved. After 12 months you can apply for a dissolution order.

Do I need to prove a relationship breakdown to dissolve my partnership?

Since April 2022, the new process and regulations outlined in the Divorce, Dissolution and Separation Act has radically changed the way civil partnerships are ended.

Applications for a dissolution order can be made by one partner or jointly. The dissolution can no longer be contested the way it could have been prior to April 2022. The specialist Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors at Clifford Johnston can advise you on which option fits your circumstances the best.

As with a divorce, ending a civil partnership needs the applicant to demonstrate that the relationship has broken down irrevocably. There is no requirement for applicants to prove any specific ground for dissolution. The Court will rely on your declaration of the breakdown, and, if satisfied with the information provided, will process the dissolution.

A civil partnership dissolution is just one of the possible courses of action, should you decide to separate. The family law solicitors at Clifford Johnston & Co. can advise you regarding the options available to you when it comes to ending a civil partnership.  You may decide that you would prefer to separate from your partner at this stage, rather than going through a dissolution. We can advise on the options open to you such as Separation Deeds to confirm your agreement on your finances and other matters such as those relating to any children.

Getting the final order

After obtaining a conditional order, you need to wait six weeks before applying for a final order. If it was your partner who applied for a conditional order, you will need to wait three months and six weeks after the date of the conditional order.

It is important to apply within 12 months of getting the conditional order, or the delay may need to be explained to the court.

Once the court is happy that all the information has been provided, it will send both partners a final order, which means that your civil partnership is over. Both parties are then free to marry or enter into another civil partnership.

Annulment of a civil partnership

It may be possible to have a civil partnership annulled if it can be proven not to have been legal in the first place. To be legal, a partnership must meet certain conditions; for example both partners must be over 16, not already married or in a partnership, and not under any kind of coercion.

If you want to apply for an annulment, this usually must be done within three years of registering your civil partnership. If the court grants an annulment, it will say that your civil partnership is either void or voidable depending on the circumstances. If you are considering getting your civil partnership annulled, you will need legal advice. Contact our specialist team for efficient, friendly and reliable services for your annulment petition.

Settling practical matters

When civil partners separate, as with divorcing couples, they will need to reach an agreement on a range of practical issues, including the dividing of assets. Civil partners have similar financial rights to married couples following a split, and have a right to claim maintenance, a share in any property and pension rights. There may also be arrangements concerning access or living arrangements for any children of the partnership to be considered

When a relationship breaks down amicably and both parties can agree, a consent order can be drawn up, which sets out in legally binding terms how finances and assets are to be dealt with.

Where such an agreement cannot be mutually reached, it may be necessary to seek intervention from the courts to help you to find a fair and reasonable solution. In either case, you will need the help of an experienced lawyer who can guide you through the options available to you under the circumstances, taking into account the length of the relationship and any assets, income and pension provisions.

Whatever your situation, one of our Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors can help you to reach and record a legally binding agreement.

Contact a Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitor.

At Clifford Johnston & Co. we are renowned for working to the highest of legal standards and pride ourselves on delivering a professional, affordable service to clients right across Stockport and Manchester.

For clear, confidential and expert advice about ending civil partnership agreements contact us today on 0161 975 1900 or use the online enquiry form above.

Our Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors in Stockport (Heaton Moor) & Manchester (Burnage) are easily accessible.  We represent clients on all family law matters not only locally and throughout Stockport, Cheshire, Lancashire & Manchester but also across the United Kingdom. You can count on us to help and guide you whatever your challenge or circumstance.

Need some professional advice?

Do you have any issues that you are worried about? Contact our professional team for a free, no-obligation informal discussion, where we can discuss your particular requirements in greater detail.

Clifford Johnston & Co. Accreditations

  • assault defence lawyers