Housing Disrepair Claims & Housing related Health problems

Put your trust in Clifford Johnston & Co.

  • Housing Disrepair Claims Solicitors
  • Landlord & Tenant Dispute Mediation Experts
  • Direct Line with your Specialist Solicitor
  • Contact our Housing Disrepair Solicitors

Housing Disrepair Claims Solicitors for Tenants

A Housing Disrepair Solicitor is an experienced legal professional who specialises in providing advice and representation to tenants in relation claiming compensation for poor standards of maintenance in privately rented or housing association properties.

When it comes to the maintenance and upkeep of your home your landlord has certain responsibilities.

If they fail to fulfil them, your property may fall into disrepair, which can negatively impact on your well-being and standard of living.

You don’t have to put up with this and Clifford Johnston & Co. can help, so contact us today for a swift resolution to your situation.

What are My Landlords Responsibilities for Property Maintenance and Healthy Living Conditions?

It is your legal right to live without constant leaks, damp, rotting windows, a broken boiler, a rodent or cockroach infestation.

If you’ve reported any of these problems to your landlord, and they have not been fixed in a timely manner, you may be eligible to claim compensation.

Your landlord is legally responsible for maintaining your property to an acceptable standard, which includes:

  • Carrying out repairs
  • Replacing broken or faulty appliances
  • Ensuring the boiler is working and meets all health and safety regulations
  • Repairing any gas or water leaks
  • Ensuring that your home is free of mould or damp

Failure to meet these legal obligations means that your landlord is in breach of his or her repairing duties which can put you and other tenants at risk in any number of ways including:

  • Asthma and other respiratory conditions caused by damp and mould.
  • Injuries such as cuts, bruises and fractures caused by falling due to poorly maintained floors and walls.
  • Fatalities due to gas leaks and electrical issues.

It is imperative that if you or a loved one has suffered any health problems due to a poorly maintained property that you take legal immediate advice. We take issues such as this extremely seriously and will not let you down in your pursuit for justice and compensation.

How to Deal with Disrepair Claims & Health Hazards in your Rented Property

If you spot a fault or problem in your property you need to report it to your landlord as soon as possible.

  • Make the report in writing by letter or email so that you have proof that you have reported the issue and the date it took place.
  • Give your landlord 21 days to respond.
  • Following their response you must give them a reasonable amount of time to carry out the required repairs.

If your landlord has failed to respond to your reports of disrepair, please contact us so that we can advise you on the next steps and help you secure a positive outcome.

We have a wealth of experience dealing with unresponsive landlords and will act on your behalf to reach a resolution as soon as possible.

Am I Entitled to Compensation for Housing Disrepair Claims?

When your home has fallen into disrepair through no fault of your own it can be frustrating and a source of real worry, especially when your health and safety is put at risk. Our trusted team of legal experts however can act on your behalf to not only come to an agreement with your landlord to ensure work is completed on your property but to also help you secure the financial recompense to which you are entitled.

You are able to make a claim to have the initial disrepair fixed as well as any resulting problems including dampness, mould, lack of heating etc.

If your health has been adversely affected or if you have been injured due to the disrepair in your home we can help you claim for:

  • Medical costs
  • Pain and suffering caused
  • Loss of wages
  • After care
  • Medication

How Much Could I Claim

We’ve successfully claimed up to £16,500 for tenants in Cheshire. How much could you be awarded?

Typically the amount of compensation awarded is between 20% and 50% of the annual rent being paid on your home.

The calculation depends on the severity of the problem and the length of time you’ve been affected.

Compensation payouts are higher if the poor condition of your home led to illness or injury.

Funding a Housing Disrepair Claim

Legal fees are often unexpected.  Although legal aid may be available in some cases, we no longer hold a legal aid contract in this area of law and, therefore, we cannot take on legally aided cases.  We offer very competitive rates and will help with the application process to ensure you have the best possible chance of success.

Get in Touch with our Tenant Legal Services Team

By choosing to work with Clifford Johnston & Co. you will have an exceptional team on your side and one that is renowned across the industry for providing the highest standards of legal representation. For landlord & tenant dispute matters, we act for clients both privately and through the provision of legal aid funding.

For affordable and cost-effective legal advice in the North West, contact our Tenant and Landlord Dispute Solicitors in Manchester or Stockport today.

We are proud of the Housing Disrepair Claims service we provide and the positive difference we make for our clients. Our team of solicitors, authorised and regulated by the Solicitor’s Regulation Authority in England and Wales, are experts in their fields.

We build lasting relationships with our clients. Most of our work comes from existing clients, referrals and recommendations.

We regularly provide expert legal advice for housing disrepair claims for clients from across the North West and Cheshire.

Call today or complete the enquiry form and we will get back in touch with you quickly.

We will always respond promptly, and we will be happy to help.


Need some professional advice?

Do you have any issues that you are worried about? Contact our professional team for a free, no-obligation informal discussion, where we can discuss your particular requirements in greater detail.

Clifford Johnston & Co. Accreditations