Family reunion

Applications to Join Family

Clifford Johnston Immigration Solicitors understand there are many different ways to come to the UK to spend time or settle with family members. However, choosing the right route for your circumstances can be hard work. Our solicitors will be happy to discuss the most appropriate route with you:

Joining British Citizens and settled family members

Are you the family member of a British Citizen or someone who has settled status (indefinite leave to remain), do you wish to come and join them in the UK, or remain here with them indefinitely?  It is possible, but the application process can be complex.

Immigration law changes regularly and often at short notice. Our Immigration specialists keep always stay updated with changes in the law so that you can be confident that the advice you receive is reliable.

Individuals hoping to join partners (fiancé(e)s, married, unmarried and civil), parents, or children in the UK may be able to apply under Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules. Such applications require that individuals meet various General, Suitability and Eligibility requirements. Appendix FM also allows for bereaved partners and victims of domestic violence to settle in the UK.

Where applications for partners and children do not meet the General, Suitability and Eligibility requirements, they may be able to request consideration under the Appendix FM Exceptions.

Our Immigration Solicitors can advise on the application process to ensure that you understand the responsibilities placed on you, and to increase your chances of success.

Joining family members from the European Economic Area

Where your family member is not British or settled, but is a European Union citizen, you may be able to join, or remain with them under European Union law.

Your European Union national family member must be exercising treaty rights through employment, self-employment, financial self-sufficiency or study for you to be able to join them. Information on the rights of European Union Nationals in the UK can be found here.

Married partners, children and parents can join the EU national family member. Other family members may also be able to join the EU family member in the UK but the legal and evidential requirements can be complex.

Some family members of European Union nationals are able to retain rights out of their relationships, or their right to remain in the UK may derive out of their relationship with a European Union family member, e.g. carers of British Citizen children or dependent family members.

If you are unsure as to which category of European Union law applies to you or your family member’s situation, or if you need advice on the application forms, or documents needed to support an application, Clifford Johnston Law will be happy to help.

Joining Points Based System Migrant Family Members

Partners and children of Points Based System Migrants can apply to come to the UK to live with their family member who is working, or studying here, or apply to join them following their entry to the UK. Your family member may be here under Tier 1, Tier 2, or Tier 5 of the Points based system.

You must be able to show your family relationship with your Points based migrant family member and that you and each dependant family member can be financially supported while you remain in the UK with them.

Certain categories of Students (Tier 4 of the Points Based System) are allowed to invite family members to join them in the UK.

If you require further information on the application process and supporting documents, please contact our solicitors.

Joining Refugee Family Members and Family Members with Humanitarian Protection / Family Reunion

Where you have family members in the UK who have obtained international protection, e.g. refugee status following a successful asylum claim, or Humanitarian Protection, you may be able to come and join them in the UK. This process is called Family Reunion.

In order to succeed with an application for Family Reunion, you must be able to show that you are the family member of the person who has succeeded in obtaining international protection in the UK and that you were separated before your family member was forced to flee the country.

When you might have faced years of separation, proving your relationship might be difficult and you might be unsure of the documents you need. Clifford Johnston Solicitors can guide you through the process and advise on the documents the Home Office, UK Visas and Immigration require as evidence to support of an immigration application.

Visiting family

Visit visas allow family members to come to the UK for up to 6 months, these are known as standard visit visas. If you wish to visit family or friends in the U.K. you must be able to meet the requirements of Appendix V of the Immigration Rules which holds a number of Eligibility requirements.  You can come to visit friends or family whether they are British, settled or have time limited stay.

Visit visas are not restricted to tourist visas, click here to find out more about other categories of visit visas.

Our solicitors can advise you on the application requirements and procedure. If you require support with the application our immigration specialists can explain the documents needed in your individual application, complete the application forms and provide supporting written representations tailored to your individual situation.

There is no right of appeal against refusals of visit visas. If you have received a refusal of a visit visa, our solicitors can advise you on the potential challenges available to you, or explore alternative options with you.

For more information on our immigration services, contact our dedicated Immigration Solicitors in Manchester today!

Solicitors in Stockport & Solicitors Manchester

We are proud of the service we give and the impact we make on our clients. If you need advice or representation please call and speak to one of our team, we can make a difference. We offer a totally bespoke service to all our clients which is achieved by providing expert and practical legal advice combined with a determination to achieve the best possible results – all done in a personal but professional manner.